PivotTable Group by Week and Month

  1. #1
    Monica Hall
    Guest

    PivotTable Group by Week and Month

    I have created a Pivot Table the is groups my date by Days = 7. I then
    wanted to add a Month grouping that would keep the days in the correct month
    even if the week is split. I have done this in the past with no problem but
    after upgrading to Office 2003 the pivot table is reverting the Day grouping
    to 1. Any ideas how to correct this?

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: PivotTable Group by Week and Month

    Hi Monica

    Also on XL2003.
    It does still group by 7 day periods, even when you add Months (and
    Quarters), but I agree that the selection box for number of days which
    becomes greyed out, does revert back to 1, even though my report still
    does do the grouping in weekly intervals.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Monica Hall
    Guest

    Re: PivotTable Group by Week and Month

    I'm starting to think I have a bug in my software because my grouping does
    revert to 1 day even when I enter 7 then select the Month. I've tried
    grouping by days only first and it groups just fine. I then go back to the
    grouping and select month the day box shows 7 but when I hit okay the table
    changes to Month and 1 day group. Frustating!

    Monica

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: PivotTable Group by Week and Month

    Hi Monica

    My apologies, for I fear I may have misled you. You do not have a bug in
    your software.
    On looking back at my test data, the individual dates did happen to all
    be the same day of the week, therefore I was "fooled" into thinking the
    PT was still grouping on a 7 day frequency inside of Month frequency.
    It does lose the 7 day grouping, once Month or Quarter is applied, and
    does go back to individual days as you describe.

    I just tried it on my wife's computer, XL2002 SP3, and that behaves the
    same.
    I don't have access to a machine with XL2000 and XL97 just at the
    moment, so I can't go back to explore the behaviour in those versions.
    I have tried changing the starting date to every different weekday to
    see if that makes any difference, but it doesn't, so I'm afraid I have
    no workaround for you.

    There may be a VB solution, but I can't think of one.

  5. #5
    Monica Hall
    Guest

    Re: PivotTable Group by Week and Month

    I tried a couple of things using VB code. But was unable to get the days to
    stick. I don't have a lot of time to spend on this issue but it is driving
    me crazy. Microsoft help says that you should be able to group multiple days
    and month.

    Thank you,
    Monica

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: PivotTable Group by Week and Month

    Hi Monica

    I have tried again and also failed.
    The only workaround that I can think of at the moment is perhaps to have
    another column in your source table, and use the Weeknum() feature from
    the Analysis Toolpack.
    =Weeknum(your_date)
    Then allocate this field to the PT as well, and you would see data
    grouped by Weeknum inside Month.

    If Debra Dalgleish spots this post, she may well be able to come up with
    a "correct" solution for you.