Seperating text if there's more than a one space between them

  1. #1

    Seperating text if there's more than a one space between them

    Hi all

    I need to seperate text in a column into different columns.
    Text to columns doesn't work because it seperates all the text.

    In this column, I need the text that has more than three spaces between it to be moved.

    Eg.
    A1= Flat 1 Sky Way Scotland SW1
    A2= 23 Dock Road Docklands DK3
    A3= 161 Speed Drive Gasville GV7

    Between the first set of text and the second, there is a minimum of 3 spaces. I desperately need the second lot in the second column.
    The Postcode is two spaces after the town's name which must not be affected, but rather move with the town's name.

    Please help if you can..!!

    Many thanks
    Joey

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Seperating text if there's more than a one space between them

    Hi Joey,

    I'd find and replace all spaces by three spaces before using Text to Columns

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Seperating text if there's more than a one space between them

    You can *still* use TTC.

    When you choose 'delimited' in the first window of the Wizard, there's an
    option in the second window:
    "Treat Consecutive Delimiters as One"
    Which, when *Checked*, should work perfectly for you.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: Seperating text if there's more than a one space between them

    I would use Word's features for this.
    Copy the cells to Word. Convert Table to Text. Go to Edit, Replace and, with
    Wildcards enabled, replace [ ^s}{3,} with ^t. Convert Text to Table (number
    of columns 2, separate text at tabs). Copy the cells to Excel.