Unable to Start Excel Event ID 2001

  1. #1
    Melih
    Guest

    Unable to Start Excel Event ID 2001

    Hello Everyone,

    We have a very puzzling situation. We are able to start Excel using the /s
    switch for safe mode, but unable to start it under normal conditions. We
    have searched and executed a variety of fix problems and still to no avail.
    In the Event View an error shows up as Event ID 2001, but there does not seem
    to be any information on this Event ID.

    What have we done:
    Removed and Re-Installed Office
    Re-Created Short Cuts
    Removed all .xlb files
    Removed excel.pip file
    Unchecked all Add-Ins
    Removed Registry Keys as specified in Q280504
    Checked the and changed the Start-Up folders

    With each situation above we would restart system before attempting to start
    up Excel. We have a hunch that Event ID 2001 has something to do with this.

    Does anyone have any further thoughts on this matter? Thanks for your time.

  2. #2

    Re: Unable to Start Excel Event ID 2001

    Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

    And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

    Maybe they'll help.

  3. #3
    Melih
    Guest

    Re: Unable to Start Excel Event ID 2001

    Hello Dave,

    Thanks for these web pages. We reviewed them and found they pretty much
    recommend all the same things as we have already found in other locations.

    Since your writing we have even gone to the point of updating our Office XP
    to SP3, plus a few security updates that came along with it.

    Then we found some writings about WMI issues. The error message reads "The
    provider OffProv10 has been registered in the WMI namespace Root/MSAPPS10,
    but did not specify the HostingModel property". So we went down that path
    with permission issues. Also to no avail.

    The Repeated Event Viewer response we see is "Rejected Safe Mode action :
    Microsoft Excel." with this Event ID.

    What is truely amazing is how many problems there are out there about Event
    ID 2001 (at least if you do a general search on the web) and there doesn't
    seem to be anything about this at Microsoft. Same with this WMI namespace
    issue mentioned above.

    Our guess is that we have an eroneous error and we're chasing the wrong
    thing. The real question is how do we go about debugging this to determine
    where the real problem lies at this point.

    We've spent hours on this problem. Anyone have any further thoughts?

  4. #4

    Re: Unable to Start Excel Event ID 2001

    Good luck. (You're way over my head.)