duplicated data in pivot table

  1. #1
    Rob B
    Guest

    duplicated data in pivot table

    Have created a pivot table to help analyse a 3000-record worksheet. On of the
    columns I wish to use icontains year dates. The pivot table has duplicated a
    third of dates, thus rendering analysis tricky. Have gone back to source file
    & rechecked all formatting; any ideas?

  2. #2
    Rob B
    Guest

    RE: duplicated data in pivot table

    To illustrate what I mean, here is a selection from the offending fields:

    1997 4051 7394 1718 100
    1998 1101 6432 600 250
    1999 5965 9551 474 150
    2000 5755 5377 1225 256
    2001 3508 3225 604 632
    2002 4483 3381 101
    2003 5659 6410 990 1327
    2004 9118 3588 1383 1375
    2005 26024 4827 359 945
    1989 1500
    1990 1500
    2000 30
    2001 775
    2002 780
    2003 750
    2004 880
    2005 150
    (blank) 0 2969 548 106
    Where the entries after 1989 -1500 appear to be left justified whereas all
    those above are right justifed. The source feild has been reformatted 3 times
    and is text based.

    Please help!

  3. #3

    Re: duplicated data in pivot table

    Changing the format of the cell(s) doesn't change the value.

    You'll have to change the values to text (or change the values to numeric).

    Changing to numeric is easier.
    select an empty cell
    edit|copy

    Select your range of years
    edit|paste special|check add

    Now all those text numbers are number numbers and hit the refresh button on the
    pivottable.

    If you want to change to text, I'd insert a helper column and use:

    =a2&""

    drag down and copy|paste special|values over the original range. Then delete
    the helper column.

    If you still end up with duplicates, watch out for leading/trailing spaces in
    your data.

  4. #4
    Rob B
    Guest

    Re: duplicated data in pivot table

    Dave, Many thanks for that. THe years just faded away! However, I have a
    similar probelm with the month column:

    January 2036
    February 2531
    March 3611
    May 7211
    June 16183
    July 15364
    August 21241
    September 11588
    October 7469
    November 2825
    December 6072
    20
    April 4021
    Annual 10865
    August 20
    Autumn 70
    June 6

    I tried using this below, but perhaps didn't understand the formula. could
    you expnad on how to do this please?

    > If you want to change to text, I'd insert a helper column and use:
    >
    > =a2&""
    >
    > drag down and copy|paste special|values over the original range. Then delete
    > the helper column.
    >
    > If you still end up with duplicates, watch out for leading/trailing spaces in
    > your data.

    Many thanks, Rob.

  5. #5

    Re: duplicated data in pivot table

    I'd start by looking for leading/trailing spaces.

    And do you really have text in all those cells--or could they be dates just
    formatted to show the month?