Payroll

  1. #1
    Tracy
    Guest

    Payroll

    I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will calculate time cards less a
    lunch period. I cannot seem to get it to calculate the reduction of the
    lunch period properly. Columns A,B & C would be input. Can anyone help?

    Column A Column B Column C Column D
    Start time End time Lunch Total Hours

    7:32 4:00 :30 ?
    7:30 4:15 :30 ?
    7:35 4:30 :35 ?
    8:00 4:30 0 ?
    7:30 4:02 :30 ?

    Total Hours ?

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Payroll

    This site has great information on a variety of Excel topics, this page link
    is to the Dates & Times page, covering an array of date and time arithmetic
    functions.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Tracy
    Guest

    RE: Payroll

    Thank you I will try the website.

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Payroll

    When dealing with time it is usually better to input it as h:mm AM/PM. This
    will prevent any confusion. For instance 4:00-7:32 equals -3:32, which has
    no meaning as far as excel is concerned. If you know that the 2nd time is
    always PM then you can account for it by adding 0.5
    =0.5+B2-A2-C2
    the 0.5 adds 12 hours. So what this is actually adding is
    =12:00+4:00 AM-7:32 AM-0:30 AM
    which equals 7:58 AM.

    Also the lunch times need to be entered as times (:30 has no meaning to
    excel). You can change the format to :[mm] to show the way you want. But
    you have to enter it as 0:30, or 12:30 AM.

    Here is a table with your sample data. I did NOT change the end time to PM.
    If you do, then delete the 0.5 in the formula.

    The daily total hours uses this formula
    =0.5+B2-A2-C2
    and the Weekly total hours uses this formula
    =SUM(D2:D6)
    you will need to format it as
    [h]:mm
    otherwise it will show as
    5:05 PM

    Start time End time Lunch Total Hours
    7:32 4:00 0:30 7:58
    7:30 4:15 0:30 8:15
    7:35 4:30 0:35 8:20
    8:00 4:30 0:00 8:30
    7:30 4:02 0:30 8:02

    Total Hours 41:05

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Tracy,

    Not sure if you got a solution but this worked for me. Not sure if it's the most efficient but it worked.

    =(B2+60/24)-A2-(0&C2)

    Where B2 is the End Time, A2 is the Start Time and C2 is the lunch time. One of the problems with your data is that :30 is not recognized as a time so I used the 0& to make excel recognize it. Even if the lunch time is 1:00, it will work.

    Does that help?

    Steve

  6. #6
    Tracy
    Guest

    Re: Payroll

    Yes, you may also want to look at the reply from Kevin B. It's a website
    with a lot of information on time issues and has some template downlaods.
    Thanks for your help.