How can I send an excel workbook by email for recipient to update?

  1. #1
    Melanie
    Guest

    How can I send an excel workbook by email for recipient to update?

    I have an excel workbook that a colleague and I both need to update and email
    back and forth. How can we do this?

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: How can I send an excel workbook by email for recipient to update?

    when you are in excel the file menu gives you the choice to mail your
    workbook in the body of the email or as an attatchment under the send
    menu,or put your excel file into your email as an attatchment in the normal
    way.I dont know what normal is for you as you havent given us any clues as to
    the programs you use
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3

    Re: How can I send an excel workbook by email for recipient to update?

    When I need multiple people to update the same workbook, it becomes a serial
    process. The workbook gets passed to person A and they have control--any
    changes made to any other copies don't count for anything. It's just practice
    (pronounced waste of time) for those people who do that.

    Then when person A finishes the workbook, the either pass it to person B--or
    they give it back to me. I make a backup copy of it and pass it on to person B.

    That way when person B screws it up really bad, person A won't get mad--I can
    just pass a copy of the backup to person B again.

    =======
    On the other hand, if your colleague is updating data in a completely separate
    and distinct worksheet in that workbook, you could send them the single sheet.
    Then when you receive it back, you can copy that data on the sheet in your
    "master" workbook.

    But if the data is in the same worksheet, don't try to update separate copies
    and combined them later. The merging becomes more work than it's worth.
    There's just too much that can change.

  4. #4
    Melanie
    Guest

    Re: How can I send an excel workbook by email for recipient to upd

    Thanks to Dave and Paul for the answers. The problem I was having was
    caused by my not having made the file a "shared file" before emailing it in
    Outlook.