Hyperlink function problem

  1. #1
    otspbob
    Guest

    Hyperlink function problem

    Hi! I'm hoping this will be very simple. I'm working on a database with
    hundreds of contacts. Column A has the contact names, and Column B has their
    URLs. I need the cells with the contact names to be linked to their
    respective websites. Doing it the old-fashioned way, I could either left-
    click the contact names and insert hyperlinks by copying and pasting the URLs
    one at a time. Or I could left-click the URLs and edit hyperlinks, copying
    and pasting the text to display one at a time. Obviously, I'd much rather
    find a quicker way. I tried creating a macro, but it would only paste data
    from the first cell onto all the other ones.

    It seems that the HYPERLINK function would be perfect. I go to Column C,
    apply the function, and it asks me to choose the hyperlink cell and the
    "friendly text" cell. So I end up typing =HYPERLINK(A1,B1), and the result
    in Column C appears to be exactly what I want. It has the contact name, and
    when I hover over it, it indicates that it will link me to the URL. However,
    that doesn't happen when I actually click on it. Instead, it gives me an
    error of "cannot open the specified file," and the formula bar shows the
    formula instead of the intended content. Sorry if this is a FAQ or in the
    wrong board, but I'm new to asking for Excel help. Thanks in advance!

    Bob

  2. #2
    otspbob
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink function problem

    Figured it out after much more Googling! My URL cells did not contain the
    "http://" in front of the web addresses. Once I added it, the newly created
    links worked! Thanks!

    Bob