DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

  1. #1
    Hal
    Guest

    DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    I have a workbook that contains links to other remote data sources and when I
    select the start-up prompt option that says "don't update" so that excel will
    use the previous information, excel tries to update and returns error codes.
    How do I work with the existing data and stop the workbook link from trying
    to update when the source file is not present?
    --
    Now if only I could get the pod door open.

  2. #2
    Sridhar
    Guest

    RE: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    Hi, if you dont want any links from remote date please go to edit menu select
    links option and discard the links.

  3. #3
    Hal
    Guest

    RE: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    Ok, I do want links but, I only want to update data when I have the source
    open, otherwise, I want to preserve the existing data and work with it. This
    all works just fine in 2000 but not in 2003. I appreciate your input. Any
    other suggestions?

  4. #4

    Re: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
    versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
    prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

    Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP11.phx.gbl

  5. #5
    Hal
    Guest

    Re: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    Dave, I've been reading some of your responses and you seem to know a lot of
    good information so while I appreciate your response it concerns me that
    there may not be an answer to my problem. I will ask my IT people about the
    registry tweak that Jim Rech posted. Have you or anyone else any other
    thoughts on this function or on how to work around this?

  6. #6

    Re: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    I think you'll find that the registry tweak works--it worked for me and lots of
    others.

    Don't be so negative <bg>.

  7. #7
    Abode
    Guest

    Re: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    Yeah. I have a similar Problem. I and working with a lot of various data and
    in order for me to be able to read it all and work with the same types of
    data across several different worksheets I need to have names associated with
    the entries. The person I send my workbooks to can _not_ have these names.
    instead of copying a workbook and deleting the columns with the names I want
    to find a way where I can just send him the file and the names wont appear in
    the workbook.

    The only thing I can think of is to store the names in a different workbook
    and have cells refer to the new workbook with the names. When I do this it
    appears to work but when I move the new workbook with the names to a new
    folder to simulate what it may look like on a different computer it asks to
    update the formulas. On top of that it continues to keep the Names present.
    Do you know of a way I can change this?

  8. #8

    Re: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    First, the only real way to make sure that that recipient doesn't get those
    names is to not include them.

    If I were concerned about security, I'd delete the names.

    But Excel's behavior changed with different versions. Sometimes, the old values
    are kept. Sometimes the error is shown. If you post the version, you may get
    more responses for that version (including the version that the other person
    uses!).

    But if you don't want him to see the names, don't send them.

  9. #9
    Abode
    Guest

    Re: DO NOT update links doesn't work for me.

    Yeah. I decided that I would probably just write a sub that will delete them
    off of all the workbooks and worksheets for me. Before I was going to store
    them in a seperate workbook with only the names and I wouldn't send those.
    Id have a function to retreive the names and if none were found it would just
    show up blank. But that doesn't apear to work and its not that big of a
    deal. Thanks though.