Calculating % of different measures taken

  1. #1
    Goran
    Guest

    Calculating % of different measures taken

    Hi,

    I have 6 values in 6 cells : B ( 2=4.2 ;3=5.2;4=6.3 ) G (
    2=5.3;3=6.3;4=7.45).
    In cells C 2,3,4 and H 2,3,4 I have to calculate a procentage using cell B2
    as a refference. B2 = 100 %
    I have been given a formula ( =cell with minimum time/absolute value of the
    cell)
    which I have treid using but its not working for some uknown reason.
    Can you PLEASE help.
    Cheers
    Goran

  2. #2
    You have to calculate a percentage of what?

    To calculate G2:G4 as a percentage of B2:

    =SUM((Gx/$B$2)*100)

    Where x is the cell you wish to have the percentage of B2 of.

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Calculating % of different measures taken

    "A S-D" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > You have to calculate a percentage of what?
    >
    > To calculate G2:G4 as a percentage of B2:
    >
    > =SUM((Gx/$B$2)*100)
    >
    > Where x is the cell you wish to have the percentage of B2 of.

    Two points:
    Firstly why have you used SUM()? In what way do you think that is different
    from ((Gx/$B$2)*100)? [Hint: look at Excel help for the SUM function.]
    Secondly, why bother multiplying by 100? Can't you just format the answer
    as a percentage?
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    I gave an answer that would give the response I thought he wanted.

    My methods might not be perfect. I'm not an expert in Excel, but I wanted to help to repay for the help that was given to me.

    I did it the way I would do it - formatting as a percentage seems unneccessary to me!

    As for the SUM() usage.. I can't explain that. It's just what I do when I type in a formula - it helps me to think in the right mind-set!

  5. #5
    Goran
    Guest

    Re: Calculating % of different measures taken

    thanks A S-D,

    This is what im tryin got acheive:
    ive got an assignment. A messurment has been taken six times ( figures
    included in original message). Since B2 is the lowest messurment we are asked
    to have that as a refference and its my 100% correct. NOW I have to come up
    with the differenece in % for the other cells.

    based on the refference cell hich is b2. I hope this makes sence

    cheers
    Goran

  6. #6
    Goran

  7. #7
    OK.

    In cell D2, write =SUM((B2/$B$2)/100). Drag this down to D4, and across to E4. This will give you the relative percentages of B2.

    I've attached the sheet. Based upon the data you gave here.

    I hope it helps.

    Adam

    PS. $B$2 in the formula above means that the specified cell (in this case B2) will be used as an absolute reference. It won't be changed to a relative reference when you automatically fill in cells using the drag functionality.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #8
    Goran
    Guest

    Re: Calculating % of different measures taken

    hey Adam,

    I have just emailed you from my home email address with all the info I have
    regading this isse of mine.
    I couldnt open the attachment u sent me. it sas that the path is wrong.

    Thanks again