Calculated field in Pivot Tables

  1. #1
    JILL
    Guest

    Calculated field in Pivot Tables

    New to pivot tables, trying to add as a final column, the total of preceding
    colums, on a row-by-row basis. Can't get my head round what the source data
    wil be as all I want is the total of the other fields/columns.
    All help/comments gratefully received!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    The answer to this could be one of two things depending on the question, do you want to 1) Total columns of data, or 2) do you want to total many data items

    1) To total columns of data, select Pivot Table options and select Grand Total for Rows

    2) To total many data items, Select View, Toolbars and make sure that the Pivot Table toolbar is selected.

    On your pivot table, click on the field name heading for the columns.

    From the Pivot Table toolbar, click on Pivot Table | Formulas | Calculated Item.

    Make sure the column field is still highlighted in the left pane, highlight Formula1 in the Name field and type Total. Then click on each field you want to include in the total in the right pane (Items and click on insert item. This should now move this field into the Formula: bar. Edit this formula now, by clicking at the end of the word and type a '+'. Then click on the next item in the right pane (Items and click on insert item. This should now move this field into the Formula: bar.

    Click OK and you should now have your new field in your pivot table, which is the total of all the data items.

  3. #3
    JILL
    Guest

    Re: Calculated field in Pivot Tables

    Perfect answer which works perfectly! Thanks.