Drop-down menu options

  1. #1

    Drop-down menu options

    Hi,
    I am creating an excel sheet with drop down menus in different cells, however, I would like to have one option where it would automatically prompt for text entry. For example, one question is asking whether you charge a fee based on a call or whether if it is a flat fee. If the person chooses "Flat fee", I would like it to allow the person to enter the value of the fee. If it could be some kind of seperate prompt dialog, that would be ideal.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Drop-down menu options

    consksu,

    You could use the worksheet's change event: copy the code below, right click the sheet tab, select
    "View Code" and paste the code in the window that appears.

    This is written for a single cell (B3, putting the rate into C3), but could easily be re-written for
    multiple cells.

    If Target.Address = "$B$3" Then
    If UCase(Target.Value) = "FLAT FEE" Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Range("C3").Value = Application.InputBox("Enter your fee rate", , , , , , , 1)
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand. What should happen using this code?

    I tried copying and pasting, however, I didn't know what was supposed to happen so I couldn't test it.

    Maybe another example that would help (I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly) would be to have a single cell with a drop-down of multiple items and one of the options would be "Other..." and when "Other..." is selected, you are prompted to input what that value should be.

    I know how to create the menu, however, I'm trying to make this as simple as possible for those that will be filling it out.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Drop-down menu options

    Not sure what you mean by bumping - folks who know an answer always feel free to jump in at any
    point.

    Contact me privately deitbe at consumer dot org, and I will send you a working example of the
    code that I posted. When you enter the value "Flat Fee" into cell B3, an input box will pop up
    asking for the rate, which would then be entered into cell C3.