sorting macro affects row height

  1. #1
    Randy Starkey
    Guest

    sorting macro affects row height

    Hi,

    I have a macro that sorts, and it is somehow affecting my row heights that
    have been set manually. Any code I can use to stop this?

    Thanks!

    --Randy Starkey

  2. #2

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    You probably have the cells formatted to wrap text. You can switch
    that off but then your long entries will get cut off as they move to
    smaller cells.

    Ryan

  3. #3
    Randy Starkey
    Guest

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    Ryan,

    Actually I use Alt-enter to get more text to display. But I think you're
    right, the wrap is still probably set. Here's the issue - if I do some
    alt-enters, and adjust row height manually I get a nice look. Then hit my
    sort macro and boom! The row height goes to auto-fit. Any way in a macro to
    get around that?

    Thanks!

    --Randy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    I would think that autofitting the rowheight would be sufficient.

    Can you select all the cells
    then double click on one of the lines between the row numbers?

  5. #5
    Randy Starkey
    Guest

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    Dave,

    Autofit breaks down after so many lines/characters of text - and I have a
    lot - so I have to manually add some CR's and then set the height. But this
    macro seems to strip my manual changes. Not on the CR's, but on the height.

    --Randy

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    I've found that if I sprinkle alt-enters every 80-100 characters, then things
    behave better.

    How often do you add those alt-enters to your strings?

    (I don't have any real good suggestion.)

  7. #7
    Randy Starkey
    Guest

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    Dave,

    Yup. That's what I do too. And then manually set the height. But the macro
    somehow trashes it. Maybe someone good in VBA will have an idea of some code
    I could include to stop this.

  8. #8

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    I see now. I had misremembered some of the problem.

    How about this.

    You add a column to the range that shows the rowheight for that row.

    You sort the data (including that column) and then after the sort, you use the
    value in that column to reset the rowheight. Then you clean up that helper
    column.

    This may give you a start.

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim myRngToSort As Range
    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim FirstCol As Long
    Dim LastCol As Long
    Dim iRow As Long

    Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1")

    With wks
    FirstRow = 1
    FirstCol = 1
    LastCol = .Cells(1, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

    For iRow = FirstRow To LastRow
    .Cells(iRow, LastCol + 1).Value = .Rows(iRow).RowHeight
    Next iRow

    Set myRngToSort = .Range(.Cells(FirstRow, LastRow), _
    .Cells(LastRow, LastCol + 1))

    With myRngToSort
    .Sort key1:=.Columns(1), order1:=xlAscending, _
    header:=xlYes
    End With

    For iRow = FirstRow To LastRow
    .Rows(iRow).RowHeight = .Cells(iRow, LastCol + 1).Value
    Next iRow

    .Columns(LastCol + 1).ClearContents
    End With

    End Sub

  9. #9
    Randy Starkey
    Guest

    Re: sorting macro affects row height

    That sounds like it might be in the right direction... - if I only knew how
    to code that I'll work on it over the weekend and see how close I can
    get. Thanks!