Counting blank cells

  1. #1

    Counting blank cells

    Hi again,

    I've got a list like this:

    blank

    any idea how to count the number of blanks after the final non-blank cell?

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Counting blank cells

    The formula below assumes the values are in Column A, rows 1 through 27, you
    will need to adjust the range as necessary:

    =COUNTIF(A1:A27,"")

    The criteria following the comma in the formula is two quotation marks w/o a
    space, not four consecutive apostrophes.
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting blank cells

    Try...

    =COUNTBLANK(INDEX(A2:A10,MATCH(BigNum,A2:A10)+1):A10)

    ....where BigNum is defined as 9.99999999999999E+307.

    Hope this helps!

    In article <[email protected]>,
    geoff1234 <[email protected]>

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Counting blank cells

    Hey Domenic,

    What's your take on 99^99 ?

    Any opinions or foreseeable problems?

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting blank cells

    Hi RagDyer!

    As far as I can tell, I don't think it would be a problem in most cases.
    But personally, I prefer to use 9.99999999999999E+307.

    Since it's the largest number Excel recognizes, its use eliminates any
    risk whatsoever regardless of how small or remote.

    Cheers!

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Counting blank cells

    But the 99^99 performs exactly the same function (no larger XL number), and
    is easier to type.<bg>

    Been using it for a while in some formulas at my plant, and am hoping that I
    don't get bitten with any unforeseen future problems.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

  7. #7
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting blank cells

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "RagDyeR" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But the 99^99 performs exactly the same function (no larger XL number), and
    > is easier to type.<bg>

    Sure! In practice, it's not likely that data will contain a number
    larger than 99^99. However, since it's theoretically possible... <bg>

    Cheers!

  8. #8

    cheers

    thanks for all the help, got it working nicely now

    this forum is awesome

    peace out