SUMIf

  1. #1
    Sojo
    Guest

    SUMIf

    I have a worksheet titled lost days that look like this:

    A B C D
    1 Name 96-97 97-98 98-99
    2 Bert
    3 oscar
    4 elmo
    5 elmo
    6 maria

    Then a 96-97 worksheet (i have one for each year begining 96 -2004) with :

    A B C D
    1 Name Lost time Age Gender
    2 elmo 2
    3 elmo 0
    4 Bert 1
    5 Bert 36
    6 ernie 0
    7 big bird 0
    8 oskar 0

    I want to sum the total of lost days per person from the yearly worksheets
    and enter it under the respective year int he lost days worksheet. For
    example, I want know who may days did Bert lose in 96-97. I I thought I
    could use sumif, but I'm the problem is I don't know how to tell it to sum
    the colum B of rows that where it found the name Bert. I know $ make it
    always do colum B, but what symbol do I use to say "from the rows the
    correspond with the name (criteria)"? For Bert the formula would be:

    =SUMIF('96-97'!A2:A36,'Lost days'!A2,'96-97 SIF'!$B4:$B5)

    That would not work for anyone else as the row for their data are different

    =SUMIF('96-97'!A2:A36,'Lost days'!A2,'96-97 SIF'!$B?:$B?).

    Help

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: SUMIf

    If I understand correctly, it seems like you're trying to do the work for
    Excel by identifying which rows to add up. But that's exactly what the sumif
    function can do for you.
    Try =SUMIF('96-97'!$A:$A,'Lost days'!$A2,'96-97'!$B:$B)
    That says to look for values that match 'Lost days'$A2 in all of column A on
    sheet '96-97' and, where found, add the corresponding values from column B.
    So wherever you see Bert in column A, add the values from column B.
    --Bruce

  3. #3
    Sojo
    Guest

    RE: SUMIf

    Thanks a million, that worked! However, now I have another problem. I need
    to distinguish between values that were and weren't matched. How do I tell it
    to put a a blank (" ") for the values that do not match 'Lost days'!$A2 in
    all of column A on sheet '96-97'. I tried this on the actual data and it
    just makes everything blank:

    IF(B2='96-97 SIF'!$B:$B,SUMIF('96-97 SIF'!$B:$B,'Lost days spss'!$B2,'96-97
    SIF'!$O:$O)," ")

  4. #4
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: SUMIf

    The easiest way would be to have Excel supress 0 values: Tools > Options >
    View, uncheck the 'Zero Values' box.
    Of course, that no longer differentiates between a 0 and a non-match. If
    that's important, you can test for the match and only perform the sumif when
    the match finds the value on the other sheet:
    =IF(ISNA(MATCH('Lost days'!A2,'96-97'!$A:$A,0)),"",SUMIF('96-97'!$A:$A,'Lost
    days'!$A2,'96-97'!$B:$B))
    In words: if the match returns an NA (that is, if the value isn't found),
    return a null string. Otherwise, return the sumif result.
    --Bruce

  5. #5
    Sojo
    Guest

    RE: SUMIf

    Differentiating between 0 and non-match is importantt. The formula is
    exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for your help. Stay blessed.