What exactly does the asterisk mean in the Date/Time formats?

  1. #1
    jb
    Guest

    What exactly does the asterisk mean in the Date/Time formats?

    Except for items that have an asterisk (*) in the Type list (Number tab,
    Format Cells dialog box), date formats that you apply do not switch date
    orders with the operating system.
    What does this really mean?

  2. #2

    Re: What exactly does the asterisk mean in the Date/Time formats?

    It only means something important if you share your workbook with others.

    Say you choose the short date option *03/14/2006.
    (I use the 4 digit year in my windows setting, so excel shows me a 4 digit
    year.)

    If you also use 4 digit years and share the workbook with a person who uses a 2
    digit year, then all the cells that are formatted that way will appear as 2
    digit years on their pc--while you see 4 digit years.

    That probably isn't too much of a problem. But if you use 2 digit years and
    share a workbook with someone like me who likes 4 digit years, then I may have
    trouble seeing your dates.

    I may have to widen the column or use a smaller font. But if you've protected
    the worksheet, your phone may be ringing with people yelling asking how to fix
    it!