Sorting W after V

  1. #1
    fridden
    Guest

    Sorting W after V

    I am having trouble seperating v from w when sorting.
    I e, if I have these two cells:

    viktor
    wahn

    I would like "viktor" to sort before "wahn", but Excel keeps
    insisting on sorting wahn first, like it doesnt seperates v from w.

    Anybody knows how what I am doing wrong? Or is this the only
    way it works?

    tia
    /Fredrik

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Sorting W after V

    Hi

    It works OK for me. What version of Excel are you using? I presume you are
    sorting A-Z, rather than Z-A (silly question, but I had to ask!). If you are
    using the A-Z button, make sure that your Shift key is not down - as this
    will sort Z-A.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Sorting W after V

    You are sorting in ascending order, right?

    And there are no extra leading spaces (or other invisible characters) before the
    V or W, right?

  4. #4
    fridden
    Guest

    Re: Sorting W after V

    Hi,
    Thanks for the response.

    I am sorting ascending and I am using Excel 2003.

    If I enter the following text into one cell each:

    McCartney
    Wiley
    Volke
    Anderson
    Sandrew
    Van Beethoven

    Then select the cells, and click the A-Z, it will sort them to:

    Anderson
    McCartney
    Sandrew
    Van Beethoven
    Wiley
    Volke

    So it looks to me like it sort v and w as the same letter. There are no
    spaces or other hidden characters in the cells.

    I cant find any settings or information about this behavior.. Neither
    in the knowledgebase, the help or anywhere!

    Oh, and I am using a Swedish version .... So if its working for you
    and others using other language versions, it seems to be some
    specific feature of the swedish version...

    Thanks anyway for the help!

    /Fredrik

  5. #5

    Re: Sorting W after V

    I don't have a guess, but I'd use Chip Pearson's CellView addin to verify all
    the characters in those cells.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    If that doesn't help, maybe Peo--the resident Swede can jump in!