backup

  1. #1
    gall
    Guest

    backup

    Excel is automatically saving/creating a backup while I am working. How do I
    turn this off/change the settings?

    Thanks,
    Tricia Gall
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: backup

    Try this:

    From the Excel main menu:
    UNcheck: Save AutoRecover info....

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: backup

    Which version of Excel are you running?

    "Backup" means different things in different versions.

    Since 2002 debuted there is no incremental backup. Just Autorecovery which
    creates a temp file while you're working with a workbook.

    If the workbook is closed, whether saved or not, the temp file is deleted.

    If Excel crashes while you're working on the workbook, the temp file is saved
    and presented the next time you open Excel.

    To turn off Autorecovery go to Tools>Options>Save and disable autorecovery.

    Prior to 2002 Excel had an AUTOSAVE add-in which made incremental saves to the
    actual workbook. It overwrote the file as you worked on it.

    If you have AUTOSAVE enabled go to Tools>Add-ins and uncheck it.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    gall
    Guest

    RE: backup

    I don't have a "Save" options. I did go to Tools, then options, but no
    "Save".

    I was looking here cuz I swore I've seen it there before. Is it an option
    you have to add in?

    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Tricia

  5. #5
    gall
    Guest

    RE: backup

    BTW...I am using Excel 2000.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: backup

    You won't have the Save option with a version of Excel prior to 2002.

    See my post.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: backup

    I'm using XL2002. That version has a SAVE tab at <tools><options>.
    If you're using a previous version, I don't recall where the setting is.
    (sorry)

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP