Vlookup where text not exact

  1. #1
    Janicej
    Guest

    Vlookup where text not exact

    I want to lookup a text field, but although the field I am looking up against
    contains the text in my lookup field, it is not exact so Vlookup is not
    returning the value, i.e. the field I am using to identify against contains
    first initial and surname and the sheet I am looking up contains full name.
    I have tried the True option, but it doesn't work properly for all of the
    entries. Is there another formula to use.

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,485
    in the formula bar type =vlookup(
    then click on the equals sign next to the formula bar, the function wizard shows, see what happens when you follow the wizard,
    by the way vlookup only works left to right, could that be the problem?

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup where text not exact

    You could use the MATCH and INDEX functions to find a value. For
    example, with the name to look up in cell B9, and the lookup table in
    cells B3:D6 --

    =INDEX($C$3:$C$6,MATCH(LEFT(B9,1) & "*" &
    RIGHT(B9,LEN(B9)-2),$B$3:$B$6,0))

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures