Excel formla

  1. #1
    Forgetfulpgk
    Guest

    Excel formla

    What is the formula for counting the number of cells containing ANY
    text?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel formla

    =COUNTA(A1:A20)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Excel formla

    Interpretation is questionable here concerning the exact meaning of "text".

    COUNTA() counts *non-empty* cells ... including numbers, errors (#DIV/0!),
    logical values (TRUE, FALSE) and zero length strings ( "" ).

    To count *only* text ... including alpha and numeric *text*, try this:

    =COUNTIF(A1:A20,"*?")

    RD

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel formla

    I agree, but isn't it always. I picked up specifically on the ANY.

    Bob Phillips

    "RagDyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Interpretation is questionable here concerning the exact meaning of

    "text".

    > COUNTA() counts *non-empty* cells ... including numbers, errors (#DIV/0!),
    > logical values (TRUE, FALSE) and zero length strings ( "" ).
    >
    > To count *only* text ... including alpha and numeric *text*, try this:
    >
    > =COUNTIF(A1:A20,"*?")
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Excel formla

    And, as is normal around here, we'll never know without the OP's response
    .... but ... it does enliven the thread *and* enlighten the archives.<bg>

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    I agree, but isn't it always. I picked up specifically on the ANY.

    Bob Phillips

    "RagDyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Interpretation is questionable here concerning the exact meaning of

    "text".

    > COUNTA() counts *non-empty* cells ... including numbers, errors (#DIV/0!),
    > logical values (TRUE, FALSE) and zero length strings ( "" ).
    >
    > To count *only* text ... including alpha and numeric *text*, try this:
    >
    > =COUNTIF(A1:A20,"*?")
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel formla

    I agree, that is why there is no reason to assume a 'correct' response is
    the final response (even if the OP says it is <G>).

    !