locating all instances of text in a column

  1. #1
    Rodney
    Guest

    locating all instances of text in a column

    employing excel as a db
    cells in 1 column may hold ,

    "blue,white,orange, red"
    "black,blue,white,orange"
    "peat brown, raspeberry red,blue,white"
    "blue,puce, vermillion, bistre,white,orange, red"

    Is there a way I can ask excel to return all
    records that hold "blue" and auto hide the rest?
    Or sort so all records with blue in cells in that column
    go to the top?

    Send spam to the FTC at
    [email protected]

    ..

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: locating all instances of text in a column

    Data>filter>autofilter, custom and contains blue

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rodney
    Guest

    Re: locating all instances of text in a column

    Thanks Peo,
    my version does not have "contains"
    I had troubles then realised, I had to put wildcards before and after
    the string.
    Everything fine now.
    Best Regards
    Rodney

  4. #4

    Re: locating all instances of text in a column

    I bet if you scroll down that list of custom options, you'll see Contains near
    the bottom.

  5. #5
    Rodney
    Guest

    Re: locating all instances of text in a column

    | I bet if you scroll down that list of custom options, you'll see Contains near
    | the bottom.

    Of course! what was I thinking?
    reminds me of that saying....
    "We are all born ignorant, to remain stupid, we have to work at it"

    Cheers and thanks.

  6. #6

    Re: locating all instances of text in a column

    The real question is "why didn't MS make that dropdown list just a tad longer?"

    (I find typing the asterisks quicker, too.)