Dollar signs

  1. #1
    Lee
    Guest

    Dollar signs

    This may sound like a trival question

    What are the Dollar sign around the column letter (ex. $a$1) that I see in
    some formulas on excel sheets I get from other people. I tried looking it up
    in help but couldn't find anything.

    Just wondering

  2. #2
    Don MI
    Guest

    Re: Dollar signs

    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This may sound like a trival question
    >
    > What are the Dollar sign around the column letter (ex. $a$1) that I see in
    > some formulas on excel sheets I get from other people. I tried looking it
    > up
    > in help but couldn't find anything.
    >
    > Just wondering

    A dollar sign means an absolute cell reference. Lookup cell references in
    Help.

    Lack of a dollar sign means relative cell reference.

    For example: you enter a formula in a cell C1 such as: =$A$1*B1. If you
    then copied that formula to cell C2, the result would be =$A$1*B2. The
    absolute reference remains the same while the relative references changes.
    Each cell in column C is the product of the corresponding cell in column B
    times the same number which is in cell A1.

    Don

  3. #3
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: Dollar signs

    hi,
    dollar signs signifies an absolute reference ie one that never changes when
    you copy it to another place as opposed to a reletive reference or one the
    does change when you copy it to another place.

    regards
    FSt1

  4. #4
    Lee
    Guest

    Re: Dollar signs

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Dollar signs

    If you feel the need to ask it's not trivial. If you don't ask you wont
    know.

    The $ fixes the dimension in which the elements of a formula will change
    when it is copied to other cells.

    =a1
    wherever you copy it to the two elements of the formula will change by the
    same number of cells (left, right, up, down)

    =$a1
    wherever you copy it to the first element will always refer to column A and
    the reference to the row will change

    =a$1
    wherever you copy it to the second element will always refer to row 1 and
    the reference to the column will change

    =$a$1
    wherever you copy it to it will always refer to A1

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions