Why do some filename's appear blue instead of black?

  1. #1
    CRW
    Guest

    Why do some filename's appear blue instead of black?

    Here's probably a very simple question for a lot of you, but has left me
    curious because someone in my office asked me this question (some of his
    excel filename's appeared blue), and I didn't have a clue.

    Please somebody explain to me why a filename (any MS Office filetype) is
    sometimes displayed in a blue format instead of the usual black?

    How useful is this characteristic other than making the file stand out
    easily in a long list of similar files that have the black filename format?

    Answers appreciated, thanks!

  2. #2
    Anything in blue are files which you haven't used in a while, the "Black" files are your most recent files.

    hope this helps.

  3. #3

    Re: Why do some filename's appear blue instead of black?

    You can tell windows to compress files to save space.

    Open Windows explorer
    Locate your file
    rightclick on it and choose properties|general tab
    click the advanced button

    and you'll see how to toggle it on/off.

    There may be an option to do this to at a drive level--I don't recall.

    And Gord Dibben added...

    If the colors annoy you......

    Open My Computer or any Folder

    Tools>Folder Options>View

    Scroll down to Files and Folders and uncheck

    "show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color"

  4. #4
    Don MI
    Guest

    Re: Why do some filename's appear blue instead of black?

    "CRW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here's probably a very simple question for a lot of you, but has left me
    > curious because someone in my office asked me this question (some of his
    > excel filename's appeared blue), and I didn't have a clue.
    >
    > Please somebody explain to me why a filename (any MS Office filetype) is
    > sometimes displayed in a blue format instead of the usual black?
    >
    > How useful is this characteristic other than making the file stand out
    > easily in a long list of similar files that have the black filename
    > format?
    >
    > Answers appreciated, thanks!

    Also, there is an option in Windows XP Disk Cleanup to compress old files.
    If the person seeing blue {meaning compress} file names is running Disk
    Cleanup and has the Compress Old Files box check, the files not used
    frequently will be compressed. The compressed files can still be used as
    Windows XP will just un-compress the file to use it. There is a slight
    delay to un-compress the file, but in newer computers you are unlikely to
    notice the delay.

    Don

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Why do some filename's appear blue instead of black?

    CRW

    Blue file names indicate these have been Compressed.

    Green file names indicate they are Encrypted.

    If the colors annoy you......

    Open My Computer or any Folder

    Tools>Folder Options>View

    Scroll down to Files and Folders and uncheck

    "show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color"

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP