[SOLVED] Summing one column based on date in another column

  1. #1
    excel guru i'm not
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Summing one column based on date in another column

    I desperately need help here. I have a spreadsheet that has sales price in
    one column and the date in another column. It will only add if the date is
    the month only i.e., January vs January 1, 2005. I need it to add by month
    based on all days within the month because that column has to have the actual
    date not just the month.

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Summing one column based on date in another column

    For this example I'll assume date is in column A and amount is in column B:

    If you're just interested in a specific month (january) you could use this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(B1:B100,--(MONTH(A1:A100)=1))

    Or, if you want to easily be able to change the month being summed, you
    could place the number of the month in a seperate cell (we'll say C1 for
    example) and use this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(B1:B100,--(MONTH(A1:A100)=C1))

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    excel guru i''m not
    Guest

    RE: Summing one column based on date in another column

    Thank you so much for the quick reply. I did this with the seperate column
    showing January for example. The problem is I have dozens of calculations to
    do by month so I would have to add 20 or 30 columns to do this.

    I am trying to get it to count january 5, 2005 and january 6, 2005 as all
    being in Jan.

    I'll try what you just sent me and see if it works.

  4. #4
    excel guru i''m not
    Guest

    RE: Summing one column based on date in another column

    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I cannot thank you enough. I have been
    trying to figure this out for 4 days, as I didn't know this forum existed.
    You made my day

  5. #5
    excel guru i''m not
    Guest

    RE: Summing one column based on date in another column

    New problem. When I use this formula it is counting the dollars in the date
    columns that are blank. Do you know how I would fix this?

  6. #6
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Summing one column based on date in another column

    Ah, yes, that would be a problem when searching for January since a blank
    cell assumes month 1.

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(D1:D8,--(MONTH(A1:A8)=1),--(A1:A8<>""))

    This will add the additional condition of not being blank.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  7. #7
    excel guru i''m not
    Guest

    RE: Summing one column based on date in another column

    That works perfect. Thanks again!

  8. #8
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Summing one column based on date in another column

    Sorry, I meant to put this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(B1:B100,--(MONTH(A1:A100)=1),--(A1:A100<>""))

    I got some ranges mixed up with another formula I was working on.