Changing a text field to a date field

  1. #1
    juliet
    Guest

    Changing a text field to a date field

    Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find an
    answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field that
    displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example 0408 so month
    + year. I have converted the number field to a text field so it doesnt drop
    off the first zero and now I need to convert it to a date field. Any nice
    easy simple ideas. Any help would be much appreaciated. Or direction to a
    question the same.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Perhaps

    =DATE(100+RIGHT(A1,2),LEFT(A1,2),1)

    format as date

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Changing a text field to a date field

    Using a helper column.....

    =LEFT(A1,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A1,2)&"/"&2006

    or you can leave off the year, as....

    =LEFT(A4,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A4,2)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:ucWGC#[email protected]...

  4. #4
    gls858

    juliet wrote:
    > Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find an
    > answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field that
    > displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example 0408 so month
    > + year. I have converted the number field to a text field so it doesnt drop
    > off the first zero and now I need to convert it to a date field. Any nice
    > easy simple ideas. Any help would be much appreaciated. Or direction to a
    > question the same.

    While it looks like you have a solution I would point out that an
    Excel spreadsheet is a very insecure place to store credit card
    numbers. Especially if you are storing them WITH the expiration date.
    Numbers should only be stored encrypted and then only if absolutely
    necessary.

    Here's just one link demonstrating the issues. Also you may want to
    check with the card companies themselves (Visa, Mastercard, Amex)as
    to what they require to comply with their requirements to store the
    numbers.

    All in all storing credit card info should not be taken lightly. If
    a security breech occurs it can have serious implications.

    gls858

  5. #5
    gls858

    gls858 wrote:
    > juliet wrote:
    >> Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find
    >> an answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field
    >> that displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example
    >> 0408 so month + year. I have converted the number field to a text
    >> field so it doesnt drop off the first zero and now I need to convert
    >> it to a date field. Any nice easy simple ideas. Any help would be much
    >> appreaciated. Or direction to a question the same.
    >>

    > While it looks like you have a solution I would point out that an
    > Excel spreadsheet is a very insecure place to store credit card
    > numbers. Especially if you are storing them WITH the expiration date.
    > Numbers should only be stored encrypted and then only if absolutely
    > necessary.
    >
    > Here's just one link demonstrating the issues. Also you may want to
    > check with the card companies themselves (Visa, Mastercard, Amex)as
    > to what they require to comply with their requirements to store the
    > numbers.
    >
    > All in all storing credit card info should not be taken lightly. If
    > a security breech occurs it can have serious implications.
    >
    > gls858

    forgot the link sorry.
    http://www.ingrian.com/resources/sol...ecurity-sb.pdf