Multiple instances of a workbook showing in Project Explorer

  1. #1
    Charles Jordan
    Guest

    Multiple instances of a workbook showing in Project Explorer

    Hi all - I'm using Excel 2003/Windows XP.

    It all seems to be working fine, but I notice that when I close the
    workbook and reopen it, both its name and the name of the attendant
    add-in which it references, appear *twice* in the Project Explorer.

    Then if I close the file without exiting Excel, on the next reopening,
    both the file and the add-in appear in the Explorer *three times*; but
    if I close and exit Excel altogether, they both only appear once on
    re-opening.

    If I repeat the procedure of closing the file without exiting, it goes
    on adding one in the Projcet Explorer.

    Please can any one throw any light on this amazing behaviour. TIA
    Charles

  2. #2
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Multiple instances of a workbook showing in Project Explorer

    Hi Charles,

    I can't answer your question, but as no one else has yet, perphaps provide a
    few more details:

    When you say reference - do you mean your file includes formulas with
    functions contained in your addin, or, do you mean you have set a reference
    in the VBE > Tools > references to the addin, or both.

    By "Project Explorer" I assume you mean the Taskbar, and in Tools > Options
    > View : Sow windows in Taskbar is ticked (doesn't explain your problem

    though). I also assume you don't have multiple instances of Excel (see task
    manager).

    Regards,
    Peter T

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Charles Jordan

    "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message news:<#[email protected]>...
    > Hi Charles,
    >
    > I can't answer your question, but as no one else has yet, perphaps provide a
    > few more details:
    >
    > When you say reference - do you mean your file includes formulas with
    > functions contained in your addin, or, do you mean you have set a reference
    > in the VBE > Tools > references to the addin, or both.
    >
    > By "Project Explorer" I assume you mean the Taskbar, and in Tools > Options
    > > View : Sow windows in Taskbar is ticked (doesn't explain your problem

    > though). I also assume you don't have multiple instances of Excel (see task
    > manager).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter T
    >

    > "Charles Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all - I'm using Excel 2003/Windows XP.
    > >
    > > It all seems to be working fine, but I notice that when I close the
    > > workbook and reopen it, both its name and the name of the attendant
    > > add-in which it references, appear *twice* in the Project Explorer.
    > >
    > > Then if I close the file without exiting Excel, on the next reopening,
    > > both the file and the add-in appear in the Explorer *three times*; but
    > > if I close and exit Excel altogether, they both only appear once on
    > > re-opening.
    > >
    > > If I repeat the procedure of closing the file without exiting, it goes
    > > on adding one in the Projcet Explorer.
    > >
    > > Please can any one throw any light on this amazing behaviour. TIA
    > > Charles

    Thanks Peter.

    (1) The workbook "Chap1.xls" calls routines in an add-in named
    "C1.xla".
    (2) This add-in is invoked by the code: AddIns("C1").Installed = True
    (3) After opening the Chap1.xls file *once*, the Project Explorer, in
    the VBE, (invoked by CTRL + R) shows one instance of each of
    "Chap1.xls" and "C1.xla"
    (4) After closing "Chap1.xls", but not exiting Excel, and reopening
    it, *two* instances of both the workbook and the add-in appear in the
    Project Explorer, and to this add one each time we close and reopen !.

    (4)Throughout, the Task Manager shows ONE instance of BOTH
    "Chap1.xls", and "Economics - Chap1.xls" (the new caption for the main
    worksheet, which our code assigns to it), and each of these instances
    are shown in the Task manager window as "Running"; and this
    combination stays unchanged on the second reopening.

    Something very odd is happening ...
    Thanks Charles

  4. #4
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Multiple instances of a workbook showing in Project Explorer

    Charles,

    Have you tried adding code to check whether the C1 addin is already
    installed before calling

    AddIns("C1").Installed = True

    ?

    If already installed then no need to install again.

    This is a known bug in the Excel VBE - see towards the end of this
    thread:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f31adc2288cae9

    Regards,
    Tim.

  5. #5
    Charles Jordan

    "Tim Williams" <saxifrax@pacbell*dot*net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Charles,
    >
    > Have you tried adding code to check whether the C1 addin is already
    > installed before calling
    >
    > AddIns("C1").Installed = True
    >
    > ?
    >
    > If already installed then no need to install again.
    >
    > This is a known bug in the Excel VBE - see towards the end of this
    > thread:
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f31adc2288cae9
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tim.

    Tim - hi. ! I am sure that adding code to prevent repeat installs of
    the add-in is a great idea. I will report back to the NG if for any
    reason it seems not.

    Regards

    Charles