Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

  1. #1
    Alex
    Guest

    Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    Hello

    Here is the problem. I have 10 products of which the prices may change each
    month. I keep monthly records going back 12 months. It looks like this...

    Prod May-05 Apr-05 Mar-05 Feb-05 Jan-05 Dec-04
    etc...
    A $100 $100 $100 $90 $90 $100
    B $90 $90 $90 $80 $80 $90
    C $85 $85 $85 $70 $70 $80
    D $60 $60 $60 $60 $60 $70
    etc..

    The above table would extend back to Apr 04 (i.e. 12 months) and go down to
    product J. (i.e. 10 products).

    In some instances the prices do not change month to month. e.g. May, Apr,
    Mar are all the same. However in Feb the prices are different. In other words
    there was a price change in MARCH-05 .

    I have tried in vain to write some VBA code that will go thorugh the table
    and leave only the months where price changes occurred.

    So the code would start in the first column (May-05) and compare prices for
    all products (A-H) with the prior month. If they are the same then the code
    will remove(.clearcontents) the prior month and then move onto the next
    month. If the prices are different then those prices will remain the in the
    table and then those prices will be used to compare against prior months to
    check for price changes.

    In the end the table should contain only those columns where a price change
    occured from the previous month.

    In the example I give above the remaining columns would be Mar-05, Jan-05,
    and Dec-04 as they show different pricing structures.

    Looked at another way, I don't want any columns that have the same pricing
    schedule. I just want a sequential representation of how prices have changed.

    If anybody has any ideas then I would enjoy reading them. I have got halfway
    throught the problem but then get stuck. It is simple to see if this months
    column is the same as the prior month and delete if the same. But it gets
    more complicated. Again, in the table above, you would start at Mar-05 and
    clear the contents of Apr-05 as it is the same pricing structure. But then
    you cannot move on to comparing Apr-05 with Mar-05. You need to still use
    May-05 to compare with Mar-05.

    I hope I have made it clear what I am trying to acheive. Please write back
    if you need more information.

    As always in this support community, any guidance is warmly received.

    Best Regards

    Alex

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    use a for/each looping macro within another for/each macro

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > Here is the problem. I have 10 products of which the prices may change

    each
    > month. I keep monthly records going back 12 months. It looks like this...
    >
    > Prod May-05 Apr-05 Mar-05 Feb-05 Jan-05 Dec-04
    > etc...
    > A $100 $100 $100 $90 $90 $100
    > B $90 $90 $90 $80 $80 $90
    > C $85 $85 $85 $70 $70

    $80

  3. #3
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    This seemed to work for me in Excel 2000. Since your entries appear to be
    text with a variable number of spaces it was a little tricky defining
    whether
    the cells were equal or not.

    Sub deletedups()
    Dim rw As Long, col As Long, x, y, rw1 As Long, col1 As Long

    rw = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    col = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count

    For rw1 = 2 To rw
    For col1 = 2 To col
    ' these are optional for check purposes
    ' x = CDbl(Cells(rw1, col1))
    ' y = CDbl(Cells(rw1, col1 + 1))

    If CDbl(Cells(rw1, col1)) = CDbl(Cells(rw1, col1 + 1)) Then
    Cells(rw1, col1).ClearContents
    End If
    Next
    Next

    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond

  4. #4
    Dick Kusleika
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    Alex

    Try this

    Sub RemoveDupPrices()

    Dim rCell As Range
    Dim lCol As Long
    Dim rRng As Range
    Dim dStatic As Double

    Const lLASTCOL As Long = 6

    Set rRng = Sheet1.Range("A2:A5")

    For Each rCell In rRng.Cells
    dStatic = rCell.Offset(0, lLASTCOL).Value

    For lCol = lLASTCOL - 1 To 1 Step -1
    If rCell.Offset(0, lCol).Value = dStatic Then
    rCell.Offset(0, lCol).ClearContents
    Else
    dStatic = rCell.Offset(0, lCol).Value
    End If
    Next lCol
    Next rCell

    **** Kusleika
    Excel MVP
    Daily Dose of Excel
    www.*****-blog.com

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    Why not just use Conditional formatting to make the font white of any entry
    that equals the one to the right?

    Assuming your data is in B2:M11, you select B2:M10, do Format / Conditional
    formatting, change 'cell value is' to 'formula is' and then put in B2=C2,
    choose a white font and hit OK.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > Here is the problem. I have 10 products of which the prices may change

    each
    > month. I keep monthly records going back 12 months. It looks like this...
    >
    > Prod May-05 Apr-05 Mar-05 Feb-05 Jan-05 Dec-04
    > etc...
    > A $100 $100 $100 $90 $90 $100
    > B $90 $90 $90 $80 $80 $90
    > C $85 $85 $85 $70 $70

    $80

  6. #6
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    Ken,

    When I took a close look - they weren't really equal...
    There were trailing spaces of different lengths. Trim didn't seem to work,
    but Cdbl did...

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    I'm assuming though that that's a result of posting in text format and
    trying to line up the data. The source data I would expect to be clean, and
    if it wasn't then it should be sorted out before trying to do anything else.

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:17:04 -0700, "Alex" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >Here is the problem. I have 10 products of which the prices may change each
    >month. I keep monthly records going back 12 months. It looks like this...
    >
    >Prod May-05 Apr-05 Mar-05 Feb-05 Jan-05 Dec-04
    >etc...
    >A $100 $100 $100 $90 $90 $100
    >B $90 $90 $90 $80 $80 $90
    >C $85 $85 $85 $70 $70 $80
    >D $60 $60 $60 $60 $60 $70
    >etc..
    >
    >The above table would extend back to Apr 04 (i.e. 12 months) and go down to
    >product J. (i.e. 10 products).
    >
    >In some instances the prices do not change month to month. e.g. May, Apr,
    >Mar are all the same. However in Feb the prices are different. In other words
    >there was a price change in MARCH-05 .
    >
    >I have tried in vain to write some VBA code that will go thorugh the table
    >and leave only the months where price changes occurred.
    >
    >So the code would start in the first column (May-05) and compare prices for
    >all products (A-H) with the prior month. If they are the same then the code
    >will remove(.clearcontents) the prior month and then move onto the next
    >month. If the prices are different then those prices will remain the in the
    >table and then those prices will be used to compare against prior months to
    >check for price changes.
    >
    >In the end the table should contain only those columns where a price change
    >occured from the previous month.
    >
    >In the example I give above the remaining columns would be Mar-05, Jan-05,
    >and Dec-04 as they show different pricing structures.
    >
    >Looked at another way, I don't want any columns that have the same pricing
    >schedule. I just want a sequential representation of how prices have changed.
    >
    >If anybody has any ideas then I would enjoy reading them. I have got halfway
    >throught the problem but then get stuck. It is simple to see if this months
    >column is the same as the prior month and delete if the same. But it gets
    >more complicated. Again, in the table above, you would start at Mar-05 and
    >clear the contents of Apr-05 as it is the same pricing structure. But then
    >you cannot move on to comparing Apr-05 with Mar-05. You need to still use
    >May-05 to compare with Mar-05.
    >
    >I hope I have made it clear what I am trying to acheive. Please write back
    >if you need more information.
    >
    >As always in this support community, any guidance is warmly received.
    >
    >Best Regards
    >

    >Alex

    If I understand you correctly, you wish to blank an entire column (except for
    the date), if the price list for items A-J is identical with the price list in
    the preceding column.

    You can do this with conditional formatting.

    Select your data area -- for example B3:G12
    Format/Conditional/Formatting Formula Is:
    ==SUMPRODUCT(--(B$3:B$12=C$3:C$12))=10

    Format/Font and change the color to white (or whatever the background color
    is).

    If you want to do this in VBA, then:

    ==========================
    Range("B3").Select
    With Range("B3:G12")
    .FormatConditions.Delete
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= _
    "=SUMPRODUCT(--(B$3:B$12=C$3:C$12))=10"
    .FormatConditions(1).Font.ColorIndex = 2
    End With
    =========================

    You may not want to clear the contents, assuming you are not deleting the
    entire columns, to possibly facilitate looking up the price of a given item on
    a given date in the past.

    --ron

  9. #9
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can anybody crack this VBA problem?

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:42:25 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:17:04 -0700, "Alex" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hello
    >>
    >>Here is the problem. I have 10 products of which the prices may change each
    >>month. I keep monthly records going back 12 months. It looks like this...
    >>
    >>Prod May-05 Apr-05 Mar-05 Feb-05 Jan-05 Dec-04
    >>etc...
    >>A $100 $100 $100 $90 $90 $100
    >>B $90 $90 $90 $80 $80 $90
    >>C $85 $85 $85 $70 $70 $80
    >>D $60 $60 $60 $60 $60 $70
    >>etc..
    >>
    >>The above table would extend back to Apr 04 (i.e. 12 months) and go down to
    >>product J. (i.e. 10 products).
    >>
    >>In some instances the prices do not change month to month. e.g. May, Apr,
    >>Mar are all the same. However in Feb the prices are different. In other words
    >>there was a price change in MARCH-05 .
    >>
    >>I have tried in vain to write some VBA code that will go thorugh the table
    >>and leave only the months where price changes occurred.
    >>
    >>So the code would start in the first column (May-05) and compare prices for
    >>all products (A-H) with the prior month. If they are the same then the code
    >>will remove(.clearcontents) the prior month and then move onto the next
    >>month. If the prices are different then those prices will remain the in the
    >>table and then those prices will be used to compare against prior months to
    >>check for price changes.
    >>
    >>In the end the table should contain only those columns where a price change
    >>occured from the previous month.
    >>
    >>In the example I give above the remaining columns would be Mar-05, Jan-05,
    >>and Dec-04 as they show different pricing structures.
    >>
    >>Looked at another way, I don't want any columns that have the same pricing
    >>schedule. I just want a sequential representation of how prices have changed.
    >>
    >>If anybody has any ideas then I would enjoy reading them. I have got halfway
    >>throught the problem but then get stuck. It is simple to see if this months
    >>column is the same as the prior month and delete if the same. But it gets
    >>more complicated. Again, in the table above, you would start at Mar-05 and
    >>clear the contents of Apr-05 as it is the same pricing structure. But then
    >>you cannot move on to comparing Apr-05 with Mar-05. You need to still use
    >>May-05 to compare with Mar-05.
    >>
    >>I hope I have made it clear what I am trying to acheive. Please write back
    >>if you need more information.
    >>
    >>As always in this support community, any guidance is warmly received.
    >>
    >>Best Regards
    >>

    >>Alex
    >>

    >If I understand you correctly, you wish to blank an entire column (except for
    >the date), if the price list for items A-J is identical with the price list in
    >the preceding column.
    >
    >You can do this with conditional formatting.
    >
    >Select your data area -- for example B3:G12
    >Format/Conditional/Formatting Formula Is:
    > ==SUMPRODUCT(--(B$3:B$12=C$3:C$12))=10

    TYPO IN THE ABOVE FORMULA. SHOULD HAVE ONLY A SINGLE "=" SIGN AT THE START:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B$3:B$12=C$3:C$12))=10

    --ron