How do I ignore a character in a cell?

  1. #1

    How do I ignore a character in a cell?

    I'm comparing numbers between two cells and I used the conditional
    format to do this. But now I need to remove a character from the first
    cell in order to get the right results. The first
    cell would have something like this Q000003 which would be the quantity
    and the second cell would be 2. And my condition is if first cell is
    greater than second cell than the first cell would change colors. But I
    need to ignore the Q in order to get the right results. How do I fix
    this?

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How do I ignore a character in a cell?

    Assuming Q00003 is in cell A1 then:
    =VALUE(MID(A1,2,255))
    will return the numerical number 3.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    sajay
    Guest

    Re: How do I ignore a character in a cell?

    rowan explain more to etdmai about the use of 255 there, other wise he
    might think of it as essential.

    yours
    sajay

  4. #4
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How do I ignore a character in a cell?

    Sajay

    1. I'm not sure I am that open to taking orders in this newsgroup.
    2. The matter has been resolved (I think) in another thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/86y6w
    3. In the verison of excel that I am using (2002) the third argument in
    the MID worksheet function is not optional and hence is essential. While
    the OP could adjust the number of characters used here to suit the data
    I cannot as I do not know exactly what format the data will take in
    every case.

    Rowan

  5. #5
    sajay
    Guest

    Re: How do I ignore a character in a cell?

    but explain why 255 and not any other sum
    even i have doubts