You could enter your data sideways. So the contents of Rows 1, 2, 3 4, would
be entered into Columns A, B, C, D. You could then turn the left hand colums
though 90deg in Format>Alignment, and do the opposite on the right hand side.

It's a bit messy if you have a lot of data, but it may get you out of a spot