A formula or macro that determine the correct month

  1. #1
    leitek.com
    Guest

    A formula or macro that determine the correct month

    Hi there,
    I have been trying out different methods for this dilemma for a long
    time, I am trying to create a logic that can look at a billing start
    cycle and billing end cycle dates and compare the days between the two
    then assign a month based on the one with the most days.

    here is an example, lets say the billing cycle starts 12/18/05 and ends

    1/19/06, now the logic should look at this and determine that it is the

    month of Jan 06. I created the formula below:

    Code:
    --------------------

    if(day(eomonth(startcycleday,0)-day(startcycleday)>day(endcycleday),month(s=
    =ADtartcycle),month(endcycle))

    --------------------

    now the problem I faced, a flaw in this formula is suppose I have a
    cycle starting 11/30/2005 and ending on 1/1/2006, the logic above will
    look at this and determine that it is the month of january 2006 however

    this is not true, it should be the month of december. also say the
    number of days in the start date and the numbers of days in the end
    date are equal, the logic will probably choose whichever month.

    my head has been spinning for the last few months.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello leitek.com,

    Try this method...

    Days = EndingDate - StartingDate
    MonthEnd = StartingDate + (Days/2)

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3
    leitek.com
    Guest

    Re: A formula or macro that determine the correct month

    Hi Leith,

    thanks for your reply. I am not sure how exactly to apply your logic
    into formula.

    any further insight would be much appreciated.

    thanks,
    salah