Are Macros Safe as a solution to Excel sheet problems

  1. #1
    Mubbu
    Guest

    Are Macros Safe as a solution to Excel sheet problems

    Hi,

    Do you think that macros are safe or they have a security threat. If we have
    to use macro as a solution. What are the precautions to be followed to avoid
    problems.

    with regards,
    Mubbu

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Are Macros Safe as a solution to Excel sheet problems

    Macros written by yourself (or someone you trust) are definitely not a
    security threat.

    AP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Are Macros Safe as a solution to Excel sheet problems

    there is nothing inherently unsafe about macros.

    the only problem I can see is that your users would get used to opening
    workbooks that contain macros. Then if they received a workbook that
    contained a macro that was written to do harm, they might open that workbook
    and enable macros. However, if you are not receiving such workbooks now,
    there is no reason to believe you would receive such if you started using
    macros yourself.

    I you continue to have concerns, in xl2000 and later, you have the ability
    to certify your workbooks:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../odc_dsvba.asp
    Code Signing Office XP Visual Basic for Applications Macro Projects

    XL2002: About Digital Signatures in Excel Workbooks

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...38&Product=ofw
    About Digital Signatures and Code Signing in Workbooks in Excel 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=206637
    OFF2000: Overview of Digital Certificates (Q206637)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=217221
    OFF2000: Using SelfCert to Create a Digital Certificate for VBA Projects
    (Q217221)

    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Are Macros Safe as a solution to Excel sheet problems

    Depends on the skill of the author <g>

    Tom Ogilvy