+ Reply to Thread

Update chart automatically

MS-Off Ver

Update chart automatically

Hey!

I have some issues with a data sheet I'm working with.
    Right now I have a lot of different data in the same column. The thing that keeps the data apart is other columns with data.

For example,
    I want to compare all data that is manufactured at ALS (column B = ALS) with the temperature -40(column C) for the displacement (Column D)

Right now to even get the data right I have to copy the data into a new sheet where I get it in different column (look at my attempt in sheet2).

Is it possible to just gather the data from sheet1 and get the same result as sheet2? I don't want to keep adding data to a new sheet everytime.

Look at sheet two to get the idea on how I want the charts to look like.

And of course, if I add more data to these fields I want the charts to update automatically.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: What I want is two lines comparing the different data. When just selecting the data from the same column I only get one continuous line.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mindwave; 12-29-2016 at 03:35 AM.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007

Re: Update chart automatically

Short but useless answer -- Yes, it is possible.

I am not an expert on pivot tables, but I might first look at whether a pivot table could be talked into changing. If I add a column to the source data that "counts" the number of each type of entry (something like =COUNTIFS($B$3:$B3,$B3,$D$3:$D3,$D3 note the mix of relative and absolute references), I can create a pivot table using these counts as the row labels, temperature and test performed @ as column labels, and sum of displacement as the values. Then create a chart from the pivot table. Because of some of the limitations Excel imposes on pivot charts, you may need to review this to see how to create a regular chart from a pivot table http://peltiertech.com/regular-chart...-pivot-tables/
    Quote Originally Posted by shg
    Mathematics is the native language of the natural world. Just trying to become literate.

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 2013

Re: Update chart automatically

Here is the protocol for creating a regular chart similar to the pivot chart above, using the pivot table’s data.
    Select a blank cell which is not touching the pivot table.
    Insert a chart. In Excel 2003, go to Insert menu > Chart, and select a chart type and subtype in step 1 of the Chart Wizard, and click Finish. In Excel 2007, simply select a chart type from the Insert tab, then choose the desired subtype.
    Right click the chart, choose Source Data or Select Data. In Excel 2003, click on the Series tab.
    Click the Add button to add a new series.
    Click in the Series Name box, and then select the cell with the series name (e.g., the country label UK).
    Click in the Values, Y Values, or Series Values box, then select the range containing the Y values (the Order Amount data under the UK label(.
    In Excel 2003, click in the Category (X) Axis Labels or X Values box, then select the range containing the category labels; In Excel 2007, click Edit under Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels, then select the range containing these labels. In both cases, this is the two-column range between the Years and Order Date field buttons at the top and the Grand Total label at the bottom.
    Repeat steps 4 through 7 as required for all series, including data inside and outside the pivot table.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information