subtotaling large data set

  1. #1
    Wedge
    Guest

    subtotaling large data set

    I am dumb. There are a million examples almost exactly like this, but none
    that I can find that is precisely the same, and I can't figure it out.

    The problem: Subtotaling a large data set.

    Say I have three columns:

    A B C
    1. apple 3 4
    2. apple 4 5
    3. orang 3 2
    4. cran 3 1
    5. zebra 9 3
    6. zebra 2 1
    98. car 4 3
    What I would like to do, is subtotal col "B" & "C" if "A" is the same.. So,
    if it is apples, sum up all the B's and put it somewhere, & sum up all the
    c's and put it somewhere. Is this possible, without going typing in each
    manually, or summing individually?

    Thanks a million to the genius that is most gracious to help me out!

  2. #2
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: subtotaling large data set

    Hi,
    One way,
    Highlight all the rows in Columns A, B and C. Go to Data > Sort... and
    accept the default as Sort by Column A. Click OK.
    Go to Data > Subtotals... and click OK when you get the warning box.
    In the Subtotal dialog box, select "At end change in:" = apple, "Use
    function:" = Sum, and check the 3 and 4 in the "Add subtotal to:" box.
    Then click OK.