Function to remove a space from text in cell WITHOUT macro??

  1. #1

    Function to remove a space from text in cell WITHOUT macro??

    Hi All,
    I have a worksheet which takes values from other worksheets and I use this
    to export to .csv so that I can script adding users to Novell using JRB
    utils.

    The problem I have is that some of our objects have spaces in the name and
    the utility I use doesn't like that. I'm looking for some info on making
    this change in the CELL and NOT writing a macro to do it so that others may
    user this spreadsheet without knowledge of how to run or edit macro's should
    anything change.

    Any help appreciated

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Function to remove a space from text in cell WITHOUT macro??

    Check out the substitute function
    =substitute(A1," ","") will get rid of all of the spaces in a text field.

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Function to remove a space from text in cell WITHOUT macro??

    There's nothing you can set up, short of creating a macro for your users to
    use, that isn't going to require some manual effort on their part.

    bj's formula will work, but requires entering the formula into an empty
    cell, copying it as needed, then copying all the formulas and Paste
    Speical>Values over top of the original cells - lots of work for your users

    You can also select all the cells to be changed and do a Find & Replace -
    replacing spaces with nothing - again requiring your users to take manual
    steps.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:14:30 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >I have a worksheet which takes values from other worksheets and I use this
    >to export to .csv so that I can script adding users to Novell using JRB
    >utils.
    >
    >The problem I have is that some of our objects have spaces in the name and
    >the utility I use doesn't like that. I'm looking for some info on making
    >this change in the CELL and NOT writing a macro to do it so that others may
    >user this spreadsheet without knowledge of how to run or edit macro's should
    >anything change.
    >
    >Any help appreciated

    It's not possible to change something in a cell without either the user
    changing it or running a macro.

    However, you could use an event-triggered macro which could run without user
    intervention.

    --ron

  5. #5

    Re: Function to remove a space from text in cell WITHOUT macro??

    Hi bj,
    That did exactly what I was looking for!

    Many Thanks

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Function to remove a space from text in cell WITHOUT macro??

    First, save your data and do this on a backup.........

    To delete spaces in the cells in a column, highlight the column, then do
    Edit > Replace > Find What: just type a space here > Replace with: leave
    this window blank > Replace all...........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3